since i can remember, thanksgiving has been a time of family gathering and lots of delicious fatty creamy food. my siblings and i talk about it weeks before in anticipation of my mom’s extremely unhealthy rich heavy cooking. she usually prepares healthy fare but during thanksgiving, it’s artery clogging, gut busting deliciousness. i am wiping the drool off my chin as i’m typing this.
today, you turned 3 years old.
there is no one in this world that can melt my heart as quickly as you. that can turn my anger to laughter, sadness to joy, irritation to cheer in a matter of seconds just by a few words from your husky voice.
i’ll be honest … when you were in my belly, i used to worry that i wouldn’t be able to love you as much as your sister. Continue reading
you know, just some stuff i HAD to get off my chest:
- why does my husband sound like he’s being strangled to death when he brushes his teeth?
- when my kids see a spider, they yell, “MOMMY, SPIDER KILL IT!” … not “DADDY, SPIDER KILL!” deduce from that what you will. Continue reading
i was raised to believe that above all else – as a student, my sole duty was to get straight a’s. it was not to have fun or enjoy life or experience different things. it was to get an a in every one of my 6 subjects. i wasn’t allowed to work part-time because my job was to study. but you know what they say … all work and no play makes jack a dull boy except for me, it was all work and no play makes for a crazy rebellious unhappy b**ch. Continue reading
i’ve said it it another post but there’s nothing quite like the instant bond parents have with one another. it’s the best and worst of almost every emotion. i can sometimes describe parenting in sort of a vague inarticulate way but i think the following folks capture it really well:
- “It kills you to see them grow up. But I guess it would kill you quicker if they didn’t.” ~ Barbara Kingsolver
- “Fatherhood is pretending the present you love most is soap-on-a-rope.” ~ Bill Cosby
- “The truth is that parents are not really interested in justice. They just want quiet.” ~ Bill Cosby
- the sound of crinkling candy wrapper is like a sugar mating call to my kids. they drop whatever they’re doing and charge foamy mouthed towards the sound.
- you know you’re getting old when you catch yourself humming along to elevator music. Continue reading
- disneyland is the place where jorts, tie-dyed shirts, mullets go to die.
- how the hell does a ride have a 4+ hour wait (cars land)? that is just poor planning on disney’s part.
- i’m sorry but per person – $120 entrance ticket, $50 food/drinks, $50 souvenir, $15 parking? that is just a little bit ridic. Continue reading